|Job Title||Consumables (Mechanical)Test Engineer|
|Location||San Diego, CA|
The Consumables (Mechanical) Test Engineer will be responsible for developing and executing testing methods to help bridge Consumable Development and Manufacturing efforts. The purpose of this position is to aid decision-making for feasibility and planning, develop a set of standards for design verification testing, and to support process and quality control in manufacturing. He/she will be tasked with delivering quantitative performance comparisons for a wide range of technical characteristics of the consumables including, but not limited to, adhesive, fluidic, optical, mechanical, chemical, and thermal properties. The Consumables team will communicate high level objectives to the Test Engineer, and he/she will have complete ownership of designing experiments, acquiring or building test equipment, collecting data, performing A/B tests, repeating tests on tens to hundreds of parts as necessary, performing analyses, and communicating results. Test Engineer will be a key voice in the transition of projects from development to manufacturing.
- Collaborate with Development and Manufacturing teams to define fundamental testing requirements.
- Generate effective test methods for a range of applications either by making use of industry standards or developing novel tools as needed.
- Perform testing and data collection with an emphasis on documentation and consistency.
- Perform life-time and repeatability testing on components.
- Perform root-cause analysis on failed parts or processes.
- Develop tools, metrics, and specifications for Design Verification Testing, Product Requirements Documentation, and Process Control for Manufacturing.
- Analyze test data and work with R&D scientists and engineers to understand the physical implications of results.
- Present data to cross-functional teams on a weekly basis and drive decision-making.
- Set the standard for Consumables test methodology at Omniome and lead others in best practices.
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or equivalent required.
- 5+ years of industry experience.
- Experience with a range of mechanical, optical, chemical, and fluidic test methods required.
- Strong statistical data analysis skills required.
- Demonstrated experience communicating actionable data to management teams required.
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams to understand fundamental needs of an organization.
- Experience working at the interface of mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, and material science.
- Proficiency with multiple data analysis software required (JMP, Python, R, Matlab, Minitab, Excel, etc.).
- Rapid prototyping experience required (e.g., 3D printing, laser cutting, CNC machining, etc.).
- Programming and instrument control experience a strong plus.
- Experience working with plastic components, including injection molding and welding a strong plus.
- Ability and eagerness to make an impact
- Creativity of thought and mindset
- Thrives in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Loves building things as much as generating and discussing data.
- Takes a rigorous, first-principles approach.
- Stand or sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to grasp, move, or assemble very small objects
- Repeat the same movements
- See details of objects that are less than a few feet away
- See differences between colors, shades and brightness
- Ability to lift 50lbs.